Carpentry@UiO Charter #
This charter describes our procedures and regulations.
The Club board is made up of 6 members:
- 4 members elected for 2-years.
- 2 members are designated by the UiO Library
Elections will be organized every year for renewing half of the elected members of the board (2 members).
The board will appoint a board chair, vice chair, communications officer and and secretary at the first meeting of the new board after the election.
Responsibilities of each officer of the board are as follows:
- Oversee regularly scheduled board meetings and call special meetings as necessary
- Prepare the agenda for Executive Council meetings
- Receive all communication from UiO to the board and relay as necessary
- Understand the responsibilities of the board chair and be able to perform these duties in the chair’s absence
- Ensure that any board members who have been given tasks know what it is they have been asked to do
- Check that action has been taken following decisions at previous meetings
- Ensure that someone is assigned to and takes minutes during all board EC meetings
- Revise minutes for publication
- Report decisions and action items in formal minutes published publicly (when applicable)
Communications officer #
- Receive all communication from community to the board and relay as necessary
Elections will be held at the start of each fall semester. The board chair and board secretary are in charge of organizing annual election for board renewal.
Candidates will self nominate with a short (<300 words) statement that will be publicly posted for voters to review.
The criteria for individuals to stand for election to the board are:
- Is a member of the Carpentry@UiO, broadly defined
- Has participated in a Carpentries event in any capacity (learner, helper, instructor, organizer, or host) at UiO or elsewhere in the past 2 years
Anyone who has participated in a Carpentries event in any capacity (learner, helper, instructor, organizer, or host) at UiO or elsewhere in the past 2 years will be eligible to vote. An election manager will be identified by the board to maintain the eligible voter list, notify voters, and tally votes.
The board will select the two candidates who received the largest number of votes to constitute the newly elected members of the next board. In case of ties, the board may use any method to choose among tied candidates to ensure that no more than two candidates are selected to constitute the newly elected members of the next board.
Amendments to the Charter #
Amendments to the charter can be proposed by existing board members in writing in advance of any board meeting.
Amendments require a 2/3 majority vote to be accepted.
This text is based on the University of Florida Carpentries Club Charter.